Thursday, January 1, 2015

Fine's Vegan Chili

Since we have many more days of winter ahead, I want to post this delicious vegan chili! Chili was always a favorite of our family because you can stick it in the crockpot and feast all day! When we started eating clean and cut out meat, I thought we would never make it again. Then I stumbled upon this recipe! This recipe came from Rachael Ray's website. Get your crockpot ready!!!

INGREDIENTS
2 tbsp olive oil (optional- I don't use it because I'm cooking in crock pot)
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 jalapeƱo pepper, seeded and chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
1 cup vegetable broth (I use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Broth)
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes (I use Muir Glen organic fire roasted-super YUM!)
1 can (14 oz) black beans, rinsed
1can (14 oz) dark red kidney beans (I use the triple bean can from Kroger), rinsed
1 tbsp ground cumin
2 tbsp chili powder 
1 tsp sea salt
1 cup vegetarian refried beans (important to get "vegetarian" ones because they are just beans & water)- optional, to thicken





DIRECTIONS
I start chopping and prepping my ingredients, adding them to my crockpot as I go except for the refried beans. I save my spices for last. Once all spices are added, I use a wooden spoon to stir thoroughly. After everything is mixed well, I add in my refried beans and stir again. They will appear to be "choppy" in the mix but they will help thicken the chili and smooth out as it gets hotter. 

I set my crockpot on high (or 4 hr setting) and let it cook! Serve with your choice of toppings depending on dietary considerations. We serve ours over baked potatoes to make a hearty meal. ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment