This dip is very easy to make and is always a hit at the party. You can make this healthier buy not using store-bought items and making the ingredients yourself. I am going to put the store-bought ingredients up here and then add alternatives.
Make this for your next party and enjoy!
2 cans vegetarian refried beans
1 package taco seasoning (as spicy as you like it!)
1 8 oz cream cheese
1 16 oz sour cream
1 16 oz salsa of choice
2 cups (or one larger pack) of shredded cheese (pepperjack is extra yummy!)
1-2 bags scoops chips for dipping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Mix the refried beans and taco seasoning together and spread in the bottom of an 8 x 8 glass dish.
- Mix the cream cheese and the sour cream together and spread over the refried bean mixture.
- Spread the salsa over the other 2 layers.
- Sprinkle your shredded cheese over the whole dish.
- Place in oven for approximately 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve warm with scoops!
Homemade Refried Beans
1-2 cans of pinto or black beans (drained and rinsed well - or make beans from raw, saving the juice they cook in)
2/3 cup vegetable broth (or juice beans are cooked in)
1/4 onion minced
1/2 jalapeno minced or 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp. olive oil
Add olive oil to pan and heat. Add minced onion and minced jalapeno (or chili powder). Saute until soft, careful not to burn. Add in your beans and bring to a boil and vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Mash beans with wooden spoon or potato masher making them as course as you like. As they cool, they will thicken up naturally.
8 Roma tomatoes (adjust quantity if you use a different type)
Cilantro (about 10-15 sprigs)
3 garlic cloves
1/2 large onion
1/2 cup olive oil
2 limes (for juice)
sea salt (to taste)
Course chop tomatoes and place in a bowl. Chop up cilantro, garlic, jalapenos, and onion. Add all to bowl. Add in 1/2 cup olive oil and juice from 2 limes. Add salt taste. Mix well. Refrigerate until ready to use/eat.