Gallon sized ziplock bag
1 large red pepper
1 (15 oz) can chick peas, drained and rinsed
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
3 tbsp tahini
1 clove garlic (originally called for 2 but I'm not a big garlic person- feel free to adjust to your liking)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp cumin
2 tbsp olive oil
Parsley and red pepper flakes for garnish, optional
MIX IT UP!
1. Line a cookie sheet with foil (don't skip this step)
2. Turn your oven on broil setting
3. Core and seed peppers, cutting them into quarters - these don't have to be perfect
4. Line peppers on cookie sheet with skins up and broil for 10-12 minutes
5. While peppers are roasting, open and rinse your chick peas. Add them to the food processor
6. Peel and chop your garlic and add to food processor
7. Also add the lemon juice, tahini, salt, and cumin to the food processor and pulse for 2 minutes, scraping down sides and bottom as needed to mix thoroughly (I did this twice)
8. Get peppers out of oven and immediately transfer to a gallon sized ziplock bag. Leave to rest for 10 minutes.
9. Once peppers cool, peel skin off and chop in large pieces
10. Add heaping 1/2 cup peppers and olive oil to food processor. You will have peppers left yet you can add to top for garnish. Pulse for 1 minute. Scrape down sides and check consistence. Continue pulsing until smooth. You can add 1 tbsp water if you want it thinner (I did not find the need for the water.)
11. When desired consistence is achieved, transfer to an airtight container, add your garnish. Enjoy! Keep refrigerated.