Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Running Show Review: Sketchers GoRUN 3 Women's Running Shoe

I have never done a review of running shoes before (never thought I would be a "runner"!)

 Eddie, my lovely husband, bought me the Sketchers GoRun 3 running shoe for Mother's Day. I was super excited! Not only did they look good, they are in the series designed my Meb - you know, the runner who won the Boston marathon!!! Here is the info from the website:

Women's Skechers GOrun 3 Running Shoes

Skechers GOrun 3 is the next generation of transitional running shoes. Designed for speed with innovative performance technologies to promote a midfoot strike, it fosters a barefoot running experience while offering cushioning and impact protection.

Details:

  • Improved breathability and flexibility
  • Roomy forefoot. 3 layer Power-prene mesh on front panel allows for support while offering ample room for toe splay
  • GOimpulse sensors offer flexibility and feedback for a responsive running experience
  • M-Strike Technology™ promotes a midfoot strike
  • Custom Fit insole is removable for an even more minimal feel
  • 4mm Heel Drop to bring you closer to a natural barefoot experience
  • Resalyte™ Midsole - Proprietary lightweight injection-molded compound with memory retention helps absorb impact
  • Nearly seamless flexible mesh upper with lace up front

Construction:

  • Flatlock stitching detail for seamless feel and lighter weight
  • Soft smooth fabric shoe lining for easy barefoot wear
  • Weight: Radically lightweight 5.2 oz per shoe based on a women's size 7

So last night was my first night wearing them. Let me back up a little and give you a few days history on my running/feet. So on Sunday (2 days before trying them) I did a fast walk on 8.63 miles - the furthest I have run/walked! I wore my K Swiss running shoes on Sunday and the only issues I had was swelling of feet and hands, and soreness of feet. No other problems. (Eddie blames my diet for swelling. I'm open to input. I'm still researching!) We went later in the day on Sunday to a local outlet mall and probably walked another 2 miles - very causal. On Monday evening, I went for a slow walk with the entire family. This was 2 miles at around an 18m/m pace. Again, wore my K Swiss.

So last night, Tuesday, was my team run. We typically do a 6 mile loop. I wore my Sketchers! So excited! My feet were a little swollen still, particularly my right foot since I injured it two Sundays ago when I wrecked my bike, but I had been walking/running fine, so I didn't think much of it. I laced up my new shoes and took off with the crew! About .50 mile into it, I started getting sore, mainly in my calves and shins. I kept going thinking it would work itself out. By mile 1.5, I was walking and considering turning around and going back to the car! I decided to keep going, but just walk. Around mile 3, both of my feet were burning and the outside joint near my pinkey toe, on both sides, was on fire! Also, on my right foot, mid arch, I was having pain. My shins were also killing me, along with my right calf and butt muscle. I decided to take out the insoles that come with the shoes. I thought maybe they were causing my feet to push too far forward. That seemed to help and I was good for another mile. Around mile 5, I couldn't take it anymore! I ended up taking off the right shoe and walking with one shoe on and my sock! I was in tears! Eddie wanted me to stop and he was going to come get me. I said "NO! I'm finishing this!"

When I got to the car, both shoes came off! I could visibly see red areas on both feet where they were rubbing wrong. I was so sore that I could hardly walk in my flip flops! Still sore today when I woke up. I really feel like the midfoot strike could be my issue, along with the insoles. I was very disappointed because I was prepared for these to be "my running shoes"! Needless to say, they have gone back to the store. I will be purchasing and trying another type of shoe soon.

Currently I have a pair of Nike's that are very basic, not really running shoes, a pair of New Balance running shoes (not sure of #), and my K Swiss running shoes (who knew they made running shoes?!). I probably use my K Swiss the most. I use the Nike's for fun runs like the Color Run and upcoming Foam Run. I'm iffy on the New Balance. They do fine but I haven't tried them on anything over 3 miles yet. I just wanted to give an honest review of these shoes in case any other female runners have considered them. I do know some of my male running friends have their version and love them, but they are just not for me.

Thank you for your time! Always keep moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment