Monday, May 16, 2016

Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas

It's been so long since I've written a blog post or typed up a recipe! My daughter and I tried this new recipe and we love it, so I thought I would share. It is a crock pot chicken fajita recipe. The reason we love it is because we can put this on at lunch and it will be ready by dinner. Plus is makes for tasty leftovers.


INGREDIENTS
1-2 lbs of chicken - I use boneless, skinless tenderloins because they are easier to work with.
1 medium/large yellow onion
1 red pepper
1 orange pepper
1 yellow pepper - I will sometimes get the bag of  mini sweet peppers and use those.
1 package of fajita seasoning (or you can use your own seasoning mixture)
3/4 cup of salsa of choice
Fajita shells of choice
Garnishments of choice - rice, black beans, refried beans, sour cream, etc.


UTENSILS NEEDED
Medium sized crock pot
Knives
Cutting boards
Spoon (to stir)


HOW TO MAKE IT
I rinse and place my chicken into a medium sized crock pot. Be sure to follow safe handling guidelines of raw chicken by washing your hands and using new utensils on your veggies. Chop up the entire onion and place in crock pot. I like my onion chunks bigger but chop to your liking! Chop up all the peppers and place in crock pot.


Add in the fajita seasoning pack (or your mixture of seasoning - you can choose to add hotter peppers or spices if you want more heat). Measure out 3/4 cup of salsa and add to crock pot. Give everything a stir.


I set my crock pot on High setting for about 30 min and then turn down to Low and let cook for 4-5 hours. I will stir occasionally just to make sure my chicken is getting cooked.


PUT IT TOGETHER
We like black beans, refried beans, rice, cheese, and sour cream in our house. I use the smaller fajita flour shells (yes I know they are not great for you but they taste good, and 1-2 won't kill you). We layer in our extras and then add the chicken mixture to our shells for the tastiest chicken fajitas at home EVER!! I will also just put the chicken mixture over rice in a bowl and eat without shells.


Alternative Idea! You could add a few more ingredients and have a spicy Mexican soup!


The end result getting ready for leftovers!





No comments:

Post a Comment